|Sound City - Real to Real March 2013|
Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Cheap Trick, Rick Springfield, Pat Benatar, Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine and many others have either mixed or recorded their albums at Sound City. This album is a collaboration with some of those artists using the Neve 8028 analog soundboard.
The vinyl version of the album is a double LP with only two to three songs on each side. The sound is good, the songs vary in style and depending on your personal musical tastes any given song may be a hit or miss. For some people , this album is a testament to how music should be made and sound; and some of these songs sound great on vinyl.
1. Heaven And All - Robert Levon Been (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club), Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters/Nirvana) and Peter Hayes (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club)
2. Time Slowing Down - Chris Goss (Masters of Reality), Tim Commerfield (Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave), Dave Grohl, Brad Wilk (Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave)
3. You Can't Fix This - Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac), Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters), Rami Jaffee (Wallflowers)
4. The Man That Never Was - Rick Springfield, Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel (Foo Fighters), Pat Smear (The Germs)
5. Your Wife is Calling - Lee Ving (Fear), Dave Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Alain Johannes (Eleven/Queens of the Stone Age/The Crooked Vultures), Pat Smear
6. From Can to Can't - Corey Taylor (Slipknot/Stone Sour), Dave Grohl, Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick), Scott Reeder (Kyus)
7. Centipede - Josh Homme (Kyus/Queens of the Stone Age), Dave Grohl, Chris Goss, Alain Johannes
8. A Trick With No Sleeve - Alain Johannes, Dave Grohl, Josh Homme
9. Cut Me Some Slack - Paul McCartney (Beatles/Wings), Dave Grohl, Pat Smear, Krist Novoselic (Nirvana)
10. If I Were Me - Dave Grohl, Jessy Greene (Jayhawks/Geraldine Fibbers), Rami Jaffee, Jim Keltner (just one of the best drummers on the planet)
11. Mantra - Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails), Josh Homme, Dave Grohl
Real to Reel is a very good album, I'm not ready to say that it's great. It really is worth your time though. If you haven't seen the movie, you should give it a watch. The recording sessions for the album, especially the one with Paul McCartney are really fun to watch.